CovenantChat.com (“CCC”) has been set up as a worldwide community gathering place for covenant holders, together with those who are seeking truth, to interact and discuss various matters. Please take a moment to go register, and then regularly monitor the posts and conversations there. No pseudonyms or fake names are allowed in CCC – it is a place for real discussion, by real people, about important things.
When the Lord approved the scriptures in April 2019, these were His words:
You have asked to know if the scriptures are acceptable and approved, or if there is more to be done:
The work that has been done is acceptable and sufficient for the labor now underway. You were permitted to update language, select a current vocabulary, and you were warned not to change any meaning. I reminded you that you do not understand the glory to be revealed unto my covenant people. You were instructed to complete the agreed upon labors, and you have done as was required.
These scriptures are sent forth to be my warning to the world, my comfort to the faithful, my counsel to the meek, my reproof to the proud, my rebuke to the contentious, and my condemnation of the wicked. They are my invitation to all mankind to flee from corruption, repent and be baptized in my name, and prepare for the coming judgment. (T&C 177:1-3, emphasis added)
To those engaged in the effort of printing and publishing, that revelation served as a publishing milestone, and work began immediately to print, distribute, and make “these scriptures” available to the world in a variety of sizes and binding types, some of which were available rather quickly, while others (like the leather edition) would take longer. The agreed-upon labor, although imperfect, was completed and released worldwide as the First Edition of the RE Scriptures by the Restoration Scriptures Foundation on July 18, 2019.
The Lord’s approval in April, and the subsequent worldwide release of the RE Scriptures marked the completion of the labor to restore and recover the scriptures as revealed through Joseph Smith. Now, moving forward, we anticipate the receipt of new revelation(s) as promised by the Lord. The anticipated new revelations may ultimately be adopted by the body of believers as canon and added to the RE Scriptures in the future, either as new editions containing additional sections of the T&C, as new or revised chapters of the Old Covenants or New Covenants, or as altogether new books when enough material has been aggregated to warrant a new volume.
At this time, it is not possible to add additional content to the First Edition of the T&C. The publication of the First Edition has already taken place, and those books have already been printed and distributed to booksellers worldwide. Those books cannot be recalled or “pulled off the shelf.” ISBN rules (as well as the even stricter ePub and eBook rules) do not allow the addition of new content to any current or previous edition. The only allowed changes are to correct any punctuation, spelling, and minor grammar issues.
If the body desires to add new section(s) to the published T&C, this must necessarily result in the creation of the Second Edition (or in the future, the Third Edition and so forth), with a new publication date and new ISBNs for all iterations. This will require at least 10 new ISBNs (which includes all thee paperback sizes, all three hardcover sizes, the journaling edition, the leather edition, the Kindle KDP edition, and the ePub edition), in addition to the free PDF edition and the online version. This will also require changes to the eBooks, which have even stricter rules and guidelines regarding the addition of content than printed publications do; this will require a global update of the “omnibus” eBook, in addition to the creation of the new edition.
To create the Second Edition of the T&C (or to change the content of any of the RE scriptures), here is what the Restoration Scriptures Foundation (RSF) volunteers will need to do (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Discontinue printing of all existing versions of the print-on-demand and ship-on-demand book(s) to be updated. Bookstores will continue to sell through their current inventory, which may take a while. Please note that there is no way to prevent retailers from continuing to sell the old version until they (finally) run out of stock. Anyone could order a First Edition in the future, and if the book still exists somewhere in the world, it could be shipped to the customer as “new.”
- Create the new manuscript with all approved changes:Add approved material to the content.
- Update the table of contents.
- Update all affected page numbers.
- Update printing information to include a version number (e.g. v2.0.0).
- Update the front matter to include details of any approved changes, canonization vote, acceptance from the Lord, etc.
- Update the publication date.
- Manually update running headers to reflect all changes.
- Create final print-ready files of all books, all sizes, and cover types.
- Prepare the new edition for publication:
- Retire all previous ISBNs that will be replaced by the new edition.
- Purchase and assign at least 10 new ISBNs, one for every size and cover type.
- Because the ISBN appears on each cover (and because there is a potential increase in page count), new cover artwork must be created specific to each size and cover type (probably 10 versions).
- Review and update title, short description, long description, back-end search terms, back-end settings, and edition metadata.
- Submit all versions of the new edition to the publisher for review and approval.
- Upload each manuscript to the system (x10).
- Upload all new metadata, titles, descriptions, and back-end information.
- Upload each new cover to display the new ISBN.
- Troubleshoot and correct all upload errors, coding errors, system-required changes, and warnings (this happens with every submission individually).
- Obtain final approval for each version before proceeding with publication.
- Publish and Activate all updated books.
- For each version:
- Select pricing model (zero royalty—or as close to zero as the system will allow).
- Release for publication.
- Purchase proofing copies.
- Verify all changes are correct.
- Follow up with all major vendors (BN, Amazon, etc.) to encourage them to sync up their catalogs with Ingram for all of the new ISBNs (this takes several weeks and dozens of emails and phone calls).
- For each version:
- Update Scriptures.info website with:
- Updated content
- Instructions on how to know what version of print edition a user has
- Version history and change list
- Update Scripture.shop with:
- History of the project
- Version tracking
- Product lookup
- New links to updated purchase options
- Product update announcements
- Simultaneously with the above, notify the email list along key points of the process:
- Warning that a change is imminent—order now if needed
- Alert that the books are no longer available
- Alert when the proofs are ordered; new books available soon
- Alert when new books are available again
This whole process will result in an interruption of availability of the paperback and hardcover books for an undetermined period of time (probably 2-6 weeks), as well as longer shipping times when the new edition becomes available and they are being printed and distributed around the world.
Here are some facts that must be considered as part of any attempt to alter or add to the RE Scriptures:
- International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN’s) were purchased and assigned; covers and manuscripts with that ISBN were created and submitted for registration.
- 48 different iterations of the books were created in various sizes, including small print, large print, hardcover paperback, journaling, and leather editions.
- These scriptures may contain some typographical errors or mistakes in grammar, spelling, or punctuation. Minor corrections of these types of errata can be made without the need to obtain new ISBNs and create new editions.
- ISBNs are granted and maintained according to established rules for their use. Adding or changing content results in the book becoming a “new product” and therefore requiring a new ISBN. Incidentally, the rules for eBooks are even more strict regarding what corrections are allowed, due to the existence of the “omnibus” eBook that controls and coordinates all of the various iterations and platforms upon which the electronic versions are distributed.
- The distribution network carefully chosen for the scriptures is the “gold standard” in the world of book distribution. It includes but is not limited to online retailers, brick and mortar stores, large chain retailers, libraries, universities, etc. We must follow their rules in order to have the privilege of offering our books through their networks and platforms.
- Since the scriptures are not priced to turn a profit, the Foundation was able to select publishing settings that make it very attractive for all retailers to carry these books in inventory. Some of the larger bookstores and distributors actually pre-print and stock books, which results in a “ship-on-demand” service level, rather than “print-on-demand” availability. Some quantity of RE Scripture books have been printed and currently reside in retailers inventory worldwide.
- Since July 2019, these books have been part of this distribution network and there’s no way to recall them or add a revision # to them.
- Distribution of a title can be disabled going forward, but we cannot prevent retailers from selling what stock they already have. Nor can we add revision identifiers to those stocks or to books in people’s homes. The book block for the first edition, therefore, is “closed.”
- If we are to create a Second Edition of the T&C, we can add whatever sections and content has been ratified by the body and accepted by the Lord. However, we cannot insert new content into the existing First Edition. It would have to become a Second Edition (since it would have new content) and would thus need to be distinguishable from the first. The creation of a Second Edition T&C would require a significant amount of work by volunteers, involving dozens of important actions and publishing steps.
- Since the canon of scripture is open, new additional works are hoped for and will be welcomed into the body of texts we hold sacred. It is anticipated that they will be printed as often as requisite to support the body of believers. But as described above, there are printing and publishing logistics which must be considered in the process. Given that we have no budget for employees, all of this work must be handled by dedicated volunteers who sacrifice their time and means in order to accomplish the publication and distribution of the scriptures in a way that is acceptable to God, to the body of believers, and to the world.
- The T&C (Referring to volume 3 of the Restoration Scriptures) is nearing a page count that we may want to consider as having reached a closing point, due to the physical limitations of the machines involved in publishing the paperback and hardcover versions. This could mean a new volume can begin, with a new title, and it can grow and expand as the Lord chooses to reveal more and as the body determines to adopt more. This could begin as a booklet, which the Foundation will make available as soon as there is something to publish. It could grow and expand and be printed every year (or at whatever interval is appropriate) until such time as a decision about a full-book printing is needed. The currently-proposed addition of the excerpt from Our Divine Parents (and/or the entire text of that talk) could potentially begin this new volume, if adopted by the body.
- It is important that we preserve, track, and document everything we do with the scriptures so that corrections and additions are easily traceable, findable, and understandable, particularly to those of future generations.
The Restoration Scriptures Foundation is a group of volunteers dedicated to publishing the Restoration Edition(s) of the scriptures to the world. The current list of volunteers and their primary area of focus includes:
Taylor Ward (publication)
Cameron Larsen (web store)
Sheri Linnarz (distribution)
Reed Larsen (leather edition)
Lori Larsen (proofing)
Kevin Merrell (layout)
Paul Durham (accounting)
…and others who produce artwork, manage online content, and more.
We recently received an audio recording of a talk Denver gave on September 18, 2010 at the Chiasmus Conference at the American Heritage School in American Fork, UT.
It contains a lot of great information. We hope you’ll give it a listen and find it worthwhile.
Not long ago, in a conversation with me, Denver said that one day, we will “wish we had hit print” because computers and the internet will not always be available. We at the archives, want to make it as easy as possible for everyone to “hit print” on all of Denver’s materials, so that when that day comes we will have hard copies of everything, distributed widely around the world.
To that end, a new book series was released a few days ago on Amazon and on our website. This first volume (“TDS 1”) covers all of Denver’s publicly-released talks, papers and Q&A sessions that occurred prior to the 40 Years in Mormonism talks (a.k.a. “the 10 talks”). Here is an excerpt from the Preface:
Following the publication of The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil in 2006, I have been asked on occasion to speak or present papers to various gatherings. What started out as a talk or a discussion here and there, has grown into a body of work consisting of many millions of words that fill thousands of pages of books, papers, transcripts, and audio and video recordings.
This book series will comprise all of the essays, papers and transcripts of talks I have given publicly, starting with “Christ’s Discourse on the Road to Emmaus”, a talk I gave in April, 2007. Using the transcript of that talk as a basis, I corrected errors, completed unfinished thoughts, added footnotes and a diagram, and added additional content, expanding it into a finished paper. In the cases where I follow this pattern, the finished paper is or will be included in this series, rather than the original audio transcript, because I consider the papers to be a more complete and better overall presentation of the same material. In the cases where no completed paper has been or will be produced, the audio transcript has been carefully reviewed for accuracy and included without further expansion or correction. This book series, therefore, together with the Restoration Edition of the scriptures that were canonized in September, 2017, all of the books I have written, and my complete blog and podcasts, constitute the body of work that has been presented publicly thus far.
This volume covers the first eight talks and papers I gave from 2007 through 2013 – essentially everything that came before the ten 40 Years in Mormonism lectures that began in September, 2013. Those ten lectures will be contained in the second volume of this series. Subsequent volumes are planned that will contain everything given from 2014 through today, with future material to be compiled into additional volumes as it becomes available, as the Lord allows.
We will announce each volume here as it becomes available. Volume 2 is almost ready for publication already, and should be available shortly.
EDITIONS AND FORMATTING
Each volume is being made available in four (4) different editions/formats. They are:
- Restoration Archive Edition – 8.5 x 11″, 186 page paperback with 12 point font. Larger margins and layout for study and notes.
- Readers Edition – 6 x 9″, 316 page paperback with 12 point font. Smaller margins and layout for easy reading and convenient carrying.
- Kindle Edition – Digital format for any device with free Kindle reader.
- Downloadable PDF – Free download of the entire book, so you can print it out on your own printer if you want.
This should make it very easy and convenient for anyone to be able to “hit print” at the lowest possible cost. We hope you will find this effort beneficial, now and in the future. Enjoy!
Many of you have asked that we keep you posted when new things are added to the archives. The trouble is, new things have been added to the archives so frequently lately that posting a notification each time is just not practical. So, we encourage you to come back often to see what’s new.
Meanwhile, we will try to post periodically when major things happen, and this is one of those times.
PODCAST ARCHIVE ADDED: Through the end of 2018, 50 podcast episodes had been published on Denver’s website, and now an archive of all of those episodes with audio and transcripts (as they become available) can be found in the new Podcast area on Denver’s page.
GENERAL CONFERENCES: The General Conferences area has been significantly updated, with audio, video and transcripts (where available) of individual talks, events and presentations now archived and available for each conference. We have also received written conference histories for each of the first two (2) Boise conferences, which will be posted shortly. We are also hoping to be able to post conference histories for each of the other three general conferences that have already transpired, as well as all future ones. Those histories will be added to the resources available for each conference as they become available.
REGIONAL MEETINGS: We are aware of eight (8) regional or multi-fellowship meetings that occurred during 2018, and we have archived the audio, video and transcripts (where available) of all of them of which we are aware. We do not have transcripts for most of those talks and presentations, so if you happen to have a transcript or a paper that is not yet posted, please send them in!
JOHN PRATT SACRED CALENDARS: Dr. John Pratt has commenced a weekly presentation on Sacred Calendars, held each Sunday evening by Zoom meeting. Event information is available in the Events calendar if you would like to attend live. Additionally, we have added the audio, video, slides and other resources from each session to the Regional Meetings area of the archive. He has completed 16 sessions to date, with a goal of going through a full year (we assume around 52 sessions) to complete the cycle.
We hope you find the Restoration Archives to be useful and helpful in your daily walk. If you would like to contribute time, talent, or means to this effort, please reach out and let us know. If you have suggestions or ideas, please pass them along. And, be on the lookout for a huge announcement in a few days – we’ve been working on a major project that is just now reaching its first major milestone…
More to come…!
Hi Remnant Family,
The Archives could use some help in preparing books for publication. If you are computer-savvy and have a desire to get involved with the preparation and publication of books for the temple library, Kindle, Amazon paperback, etc., please let us know. Please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the contact form on our website to reach out.
A revelation has been received regarding the recently approved Statement of Principles. This document is illuminating and thrilling, and is posted now on the Denver Snuffer section of the Restoration Archive Project Library.
You can view the document here.
These are truly joyous times indeed!
Please read the document, and share this link with others. Thank you!
Important updates to the Denver Snuffer Library Page
Hello again! We’d just like to let you know that a significant amount of new material has been added to the Denver Snuffer Page of the Restoration Archives Library. Among the new updates:
Remarks at the Joseph Smith Restoration Conference (Boise, ID – June 24, 2018): There is a link to the video of the presentation on YouTube, as well as audio and transcript.
The Restoration’s Shattered Promises and Great Hope, Sunstone Conference (Salt Lake City, UT – July 28, 2018): Here, we have added audio recording, actual transcript of the talk as presented, and Denver’s manuscript of the entire paper upon which the talk was based.
Remarks at the Remembering the Covenants Conference (Centerville, UT – August 4, 2018): An audio recording of Denver’s presentation and transcript have been added.
The Lost Piece of Silver: A paper which Denver prepared for presentation at the Covenants Conference in Centerville, but was moved to replace with the remarks referenced above. This is the full paper with footnotes, etc.
Things that Keep Us Awake at Night (St. George, UT – March 19, 2017): We have added a word-for-word transcript of the talk, as given on stage.
Updates to Regional Conferences Page
A great deal of information has been added to this page. A large number of talks, including audio, as well as papers (where available) have been added to the page. Additionally, links to the various conference websites are posted there, which allows access to even more material.
We invite you to subscribe to the Restoration Archives YouTube channel (here) as well as the Restoration Archive RSS Feed if you would like to be notified of new postings and additional information.
We hope that this information will be useful to you, and we wish you continued growth and learning of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Just a quick update – In the Library section for Denver Snuffer, we just posted the audio of the talk Denver gave last night at the Joseph Smith Restoration Conference in Boise, ID. As soon as it’s available, we will also post to our YouTube channel a complete set of videos of the conference, including excellent talks by many people from various branches of Mormonism. Enjoy!
Recently, the Restoration Archive committee added a YouTube channel to the collection of resources available to you to assist in your gospel study. We are pleased to announce that as of yesterday, the entirety of the Denver Snuffer collection of talks, everything that has been recorded since 2007, is now available on that channel. All of the recordings have been converted to video, and where actual video footage exists, that has been included. If no video exists, then there is simply a static image behind the audio.
All audio has been remastered and optimized for tablets and smartphones, which will enhance the quality of output when you are streaming the video. The result both looks and sounds fantastic. A lot of work has gone into this project and we are excited to share it with you.
Please click this link:
to access the YouTube channel, and we wish you all the best as you continue in your pursuit of light and knowledge!